I gotta be honest, I’m really not sure what to think about this one. On the one hand I can appreciate the satire in making a cop a demonic beast in uniform out to kill all the bad guys. It has a very 90’s arcade game vibe to it. Even the games’ title, Beating Quota, has a certain adolescent humor that would be right at home in an issue of EGM back in the day. The graphics are cute, the action looks intense, and impact your over-the-top carnage has on the world around you looks great.
Then there’s the characters in the game .
I’m far from being overly sensitive or politically correct; hell, the idea of a game about a corrupt cop killing everyone he see’s is great commentary, and looks fun. I get it! But I’m pretty sure at least one or two of those caricatures in the lineup aren’t considered ok.
On a lighter note, here’s a brief feature list from the developers press kit!
- Old school beat ‘em up mixed in with a shoot ‘em up style gameplay.
- Suppress the masses with a wide range of firearms, pyros, and drone strikes.
- Multiple Riot game modes that tie into the main game and earn you cash bonuses.
- Team up and take ‘em out in force in co-op missions.
- Multiple challenge modes, side mission and extras.
- Controller support.
You can learn more about Beating Quote on its Kickstarter page. The developers are looking to raise £10,000 between now and December 20th to finish it.