Every week, we trawl through Kickstarter, IndieGogo and almost every other crowdfunding site where we’ll be able to find people raising money to create games. And every week, we’re left both awestruck by many of the games that are being crowdfunded, as well as disappointed that some of these games not only aren’t getting the attention they deserve, but also in the fact that they haven’t gotten the financial backing of many AAA titles.
With that in mind, every week, we’ll will bring you some of our favourite crowdfunding campaigns that we could find. In this weekly instalment, we’ll be focusing on games that have launched on IndieGogo. If you think that we’ve missed any games, or think that we haven’t giving enough attention to some campaigns, feel free to let us know. Please bear in mind, that this column focuses mainly on IndieGogo campaigns, you’ll want to head over to our Weekly Launchpad to see the Kickstarter campaigns.
Immune Defense is a cross between real-time strategy and tower defense, in which the player summons white blood cells and uses them to destroy the invading pathogens. The “towers” you manage are white blood cells and the invading forces are pathogens such as E. coli, Staph, pneumonia, and coming later… Malaria, AIDS, SARS, Ebola, bird flu and Tuberculosis.
You spend “energy” to summon white blood cells (the “towers” or “soldiers” in this game), which you will use to defeat pathogens. You gain energy for every pathogen you kill, which you use to summon more white blood cells. If you’re familiar with tower defense games like Plants vs. Zombies and Field Runners or strategy games like Starcraft/Warcraft, then the gameplay will feel familiar to you.
- Several levels based on different parts of the body;
- Somewhat scientifically accurate;
- Your first advanced maneuver is “Activation,” or telling your eater cells to temporarily use more firepower (inflammation) to clear the infection. It’s like temporarily boosting your soldiers’ stats (think “stims” for marines in Starcraft). Activated neutrophils can eat several pathogens at once and use oxidative bursts to dissolve them more quickly. However, More firepower means more collateral damage to the body;
- Similar to technology levels in RTS games, there are several levels of activation in Immune Defense. Each level is more complex than the last and are used to combat deadlier infections. The gifs below show the first level of activation; and,
- Macrophages release “TNF” when they detect infection. Neutrophils become activated by TNF through their activation receptor.
Icy is an RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world witnessing a new Ice Age. The player will create his/her own character and live an adventure across the White Wasteland, struggling each day to survive, without losing hope to find a better place where to thrive. Icy mixes role-play and survival dynamics, allowing the player to lead a nomad family in their fight for survival, and to take care of all the responsibilities a leader has, such as keeping the group together and planning how to face a hostile world.
- Live a survival experience in a peculiar post-apocalyptic setting.
- Create your character, characterizing it choosing among 3 main attributes and 10 different skills that affects the whole game.
- Influence the plot with different choices, changing the course of events that will lead to multiple different endings.
- Manage to keep together group of survivors, each one with different needs, values and ideals.
- Scavenge for items and hunt for food, face the challenges of the Frozen World.
- Enjoy more than 400 hand-drawn artworks.
- More than 10’000 dialogue lines.
- Day/night cycle that affects the gameplay.
If we missed anything, feel free to let us know! For the Kickstarter side of things be sure to head to our weekly Kickstarter recap.