I love a game that deals with dark and morbid subject matter. When I saw that City of Rain was essentially touted as an action adventure set in a utopia that has degenerated into a city of sin and vice I had to check it out. Unfortunately, outside of that, and the fact that you are looking for your sister that was kidnapped ten years ago, we don’t really know much else about the game. Period.
Here’s the problem that I have with City of Rain. There’s nothing there to tell us what the game is about beyond what I just described in the above paragraph. There’s a few incredibly dark screenshots and a brief trailer video but that’s it. The Kickstarter reads as if success hinges purely on the voice talent that the developers have lined up for the various characters. I will admit though, there are some real industry names represented.
- Chris Patton – Kanon (Yuichi Aizawa), Air Gear (Ikki Minami), Gasaraki (Yushiro)
- Steve Blum – Cowboy Bebop (Spike), Samurai Champloo (Mugan), Wolf’s Rain (Darcia)
- Laura Bailey – Soul Eater (Maka Albarn), Gunslinger Girl (Henrietta), Fullmetal Alchemist (Lust)
- Crispin Freeman – Hellsing (Alucard), Eureka Seven (Holland), Naruto (Itachi Uchiha)
- Tabitha St. Germain – Black Lagoon (Roberta), My Little Pony (Rarity), Deathnote (Naomi Misora)
- Brad Swaile – Deathnote (Light Yagami), Black Lagoon (Rock), Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Setsuna)
- Kelly Sheridan – Nana (Nana Komatsu), Ranma ½ (Ukya Kuonji), Escaflowne (Hitomi)
- David Kaye – Nana (Shinichi Okazaki), Ranma ½ (Soun Tendo), Slugterra (Twist)
Even if you don’t know each actor’s name (I only knew Tabitha St. Germain due to being heavily into My Little Pony) you should at least recognize the characters that they voiced.
Honestly though, the asking price of half a million dollars is way too much for a game that they’re pitching here. There’s nothing there to tell us what to expect in City of Rain. We don’t know how it plays out, we don’t know the characters themselves, and we don’t have many plot details. Frankly, without a major miracle or overhaul of the page I’m going to call it now. It won’t reach even a fraction of what they’re asking for. Which is a pity as what little that I did glean from it, it sounds like my kind of game.